The “Precarity and Inequality” project is funded by the Francqui Foundation, initially established in 1932. The project, which will last from September 2017 through February 2018, is led by the American sociologist Steven Vallas, who will be a Guest Professor at KU Leuven for the coming academic year. Professor Vallas is joined by a small group of leading social scientists at several Belgian universities, who have planned a series of workshops on particular issues relating to neoliberalism, the rise of precarious work, and its consequences for social and political life in Belgium, Europe and beyond. Each workshop will provide a platform for the presentation of original scholarly research on a particular facet of economic and social change in an era of neoliberalism.
All members of the public are invited to these workshops. The overall goal of the project is to build enduring ties among social scientists working across Belgium, and to link their research to far-reaching questions of great importance to workers, activists, and decision makers throughout Europe and the United States.
Prof. Vallas is privileged to work in concert with the following colleagues at Flemish and Walloon universities in Belgium:
- KU Leuven- Promotor institution – Centre of Sociological Research – Faculty of Social Sciences: Prof. dr. Valeria Pulignano
- Universiteit Hasselt: Prof. dr. Patrizia Zanoni
- Université Catholique de Louvain: Prof. dr. Laurent Taskin
- Vrije Universiteit Brussel: Prof. dr. Christophe Vanroelen
- Universiteit Gent: Prof. dr. Lesley Hustinx
- Université de Liège: Prof. dr. François Pichault
- Universiteit Antwerpen: Prof. dr. Ive Marx
- Université Libre de Bruxelles: Prof. dr. Pierre Desmarez